Friday, May 28, 2010

Race Report - 6th Overall In The Scenic City Tri - Chattanooga, TN

Hey Everyone - after a week of no workouts due to travel from Omaha to Chattanooga and helping my mother-in-law for 3.5 days, eating way too much fast food, and, nursing a heel bruise - I had been limping around all week...well, my expectations for the USAT Scenic City Tri just north of Chatt. were not high. I felt flat, slow and pudgy. Horrible storms last Saturday gave way to a beautiful Sunday morning though, perfect for racing.

I went out in the second wave - 40 and older males, and had an decent swim in my Barracuda goggles and very fast Xterra Vector Pro wetsuit. Was well fueled with my Hammer Nutrition products. Felt just a bit rusty even though it had only been a week since working out. Tried to hammer the very hilly bike course on my Valdora PHX yet still have something left for the run. I came off the bike and headed out on the run not knowing if the heel bruise would let me run even 1/2 a mile. It hurt but was not debilitating. Right away someone tried to pass me and was flying, so I thought I'd run just off his shoulder for as long as I could. We must have gone through the first mile in 5: something. I finally pulled away from him and held him off on the hilly run course.

After the race, chip timing said I'd finished 4th overall, first Master over 40. So, I took that award home. Now they have another set of results posted and it shows me 6th. The guy who won is listed as 2nd. Not sure what's up with that... However, I was thrilled to learn I had the 2nd fastest run split of the day. The 5 guys (or 3???) who beat me were between 12 years and 35 years younger than me. It was truly a blessed morning and I'm very thankful to the Lord for that and give Him the glory.

Also, I'm super thankful for you all, your companies, products and services and the help you have given and are giving me with my training and racing. So far this year I've got a 5th Overall and a 6th (or 4th?) Overall in two triathlons, both age group wins, and one 1st Overall in a 5K. Next race, the USAT sanctioned Holiday Lake Triathlon in Iowa in 3 weeks.

No comments: