Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Okoboji Triathlon Report

Hey Everyone - Last Saturday, July 17th I did the University of Okoboji Triathlon in Okoboji / Spirit Lake, IA. There were 360 starters and 330 finishers who headed out into the 93% humidity. Lake swim of 1000 yds., 18 mile bike and 5.5 mile run. Interesting distances I know... I was fueled up on my Hammer products and had what I needed for the bike/run ready to consume!

I had a strong swim in my Xterra skinsuit and Barracuda goggles. Came out of the water in 19th place with a PR swim of 15 min. Beat several who were ahead of me out of T-1 and then started picking off others during the bike leg on my speedy Valdora PHX with my Valdora deep rim wheels. Pretty technical course through a lot of residential areas. In and out of sunshine and shade so I pulled my Zeal Optics "Lift" sunglasses on and off as needed because the shaded areas were really dark. Only one highway that I could really open up on. Not a hilly course but several rollers and lots of turns. Came off the bike and into T-2 in 6th overall and took off on the run, strapping on my Nathan race belt and Sidekick which held my nutrition.

Ran alone in 6th the entire run which had tons of turns and rollers. With a 1/2 mile to go my hamstring started to tighten up badly for some reason - probably pressing too hard - so I emptied a Hammer Endurolyte under my tongue and washed it down. It was very hot and humid that morning. I finished running but not at full speed. I was thankful for holding on to 6th overall and 1st in the 50-59 age group. I was also blessed to have grabbed the 2nd fastest bike split of the day.

The 5 guys who beat me were between 17-36 years younger than me. It's tough chasing fast young kids, some of them younger than my kids. Anyway, I was thankful for what was, up til the last 1/2 mile, one of my best races ever I think. I had no energy let downs at all and felt strong and fast - thank you Lord!!!

Lincoln

No comments: