Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Climbing The Mountains Of Life


Last weekend I was in sunny, warm Tucson, AZ for the ICTN (www.ICTriNet.com) annual camp/retreat. Besides seeing old friends, making new ones, listening to some great speakers and attending fantastic triathlon workshops, there is the annual Mt. Lemmon bike climb for those who want to tackle it. Mt. Lemmon is a 27 mile climb taking you from about 2,000 ft. above sea level where it starts, up to over 8,000 ft. It's pretty much relentless with very few reprieves from the grinding ascent.

This was the 6th year for the camp and the 3rd it's been held in Tucson. Two years ago, I approached the mountain with little respect for it. I had NEVER climbed a mountain of any type. Omaha and Phoenix, where I've lived the last 29 years, have hills, yes, but no mountains. Still, I figured, how tough can this really be? Ok, so, it was tough enough to wipe me out after 14 miles of climbing both previous years, just halfway up it. Why? Bad mindsets, bad pacing and a bad nutritional plan. Last year I took the first 8 miles WAY too fast and bonked at about 11 miles, barely hanging on up to 14 where I called it quits.

So, I was zero for two going into the climb this year. I'd had 365 days to think about this. I decided I'd climb slowly but steadily. Didn't care if anyone passed me...even an elderly women on a recumbent bike - I'd just let her go. I would ride my pace, stay very hydrated and fueled up, and know it would take me awhile so patience had to prevail.

We start up the mountain and, sure nuf, some folks started to come around me as I made my way up the first half. I was tempted to go with a couple of them but..."Don't do that," I told myself...so I didn't. 27 miles of climbing at about 9 mph means...well, you do the math. My only goal was to get to the summit, not to get there quickly. My hydration was good and by using Hammer Nutrition's products, I never had a major energy let down - emphasis on "major."

On we rode with snow on the sides of the road when, a couple of miles from the top a few buddies passed me, coming down. Man, those guys can ride. John Shelp, who I was riding with, and I keep moving upward feeling worse and worse the closer we got to the top. There is a small community at the 25 mile point called Summerhaven and we pulled in there thinking we'd grab a cookie and coffee at the shop there...but...then...John said, let's keep going. Seriously? I really didn't think I could go up two more miles to the ski lift. I was completely spent. But, the summit beckoned us, so, we made the turn and headed further up the mountain.



We made it! 27 miles of mountain climbing. Did I respect that mountain now? Yep. And, I'd climbed on a bike with gearing perfect for flatland racing, not geared to climb, which, made it even tougher, but also more satisfying. We went into a shop and ordered blueberry pie with ice cream and coffee. Man, did that taste good! Then, we bundled up cause it was cold up there and headed down. An hour or so later, after screaming down that hill, we hit the bottom and headed the last 6 miles back to the host hotel, completely exhausted and spent, but very happy.

We all face mountains in our lives. Financial, vocational, physical, relational...there are many and each season of life seems to bring new ones. We can choose to look at the mountain and not take it seriously, only to have it kick our fanny. We can try to overcome it without the necessary "nutrition" that we'll need to fuel us on our journey. Or, we can start up it with the right mindset and supplies. That ride only made me stronger after I recovered. The mountains of life can be looked at from a positive point of view.

David of the Old Testament said, "I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth." Psalms 121:1.
God is the One who knows best how to deal with the mountains of life. Focusing on Him, we draw the help we need to make it up and over every mountain we face, or, just watch Him move it. What mountain is confronting you currently? How are you dealing with it? God is right there. He knows the way up and over. Look to Him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent word, Linc. Thanks for that.

Jennifer Murdoch said...

You're the best....and you live it every day!

Paul Asay said...

Ride that often, but via DVD and Coach Troy riding the first 15 miles to Windy Point. Never seen it in person. Maybe next year I'll get the opportunity.

Has to be super tough with flatland gearing. Not sure I could pull that off. U da man!
Paul

Brandon Nichols, RD, CSSD, USAT Level I Coach said...

Well said Linc. That ride can make you want to give up- it takes digging deep to succeed. I just about called it quits, twice. God gets the Glory, right.