Sunday, January 21, 2018

The Importance of your "C" races. Learn from the Jackson 5

Remember the 'ol Jackson 5 song "A,B,C, it's easy as Do Re Me..."? Check this out for a refresher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-aSjHnbw18
First thing we learn in school is the alphabet and the song that goes with it. So how does A, B, C relate to endurance sports and triathlon? You label your races for this season as A races, B races or C races.  You might have 1-3 A races, a few more B races and several C races. B and C should always serve the big-picture goal of nailing your A race(s).

I haven't raced since the end of last summer. It's been five months. But, I have laid out my whole race season calendar and labeled my races. Every, single, race has a purpose with an end goal. They're each part of a strategic plan leading (hopefully) to nailing four National Championship races and one World Championship race.

Yesterday I did my first race of this season - a C race. No big deal. No huge goal for it. No hoop-la or crowd. Just a local 5K running race.

It's purpose? Get my legs moving a little faster than normal training. Average a nice 7:30/mile pace, and...don't pull anything. There you go. That's it. But, it's very important in that it's the first rung on my ladder. Next weekend there is another C race with the purpose of running 7:15s. Then, two weeks after that, another C race, running 7 minute miles.

You see where we're going here? After those C races, I've got two B races hitting 6:50/miles, then 6:40s. In the midst of this string of non-A running races, is a B triathlon...in Cuba! Bucket list race. ITU has a World Cup race stop in Havana and an open (anyone can race) race. That too will serve a specific purpose, leading to Duathlon National Championships seven weeks later.

First C race no big deal? Actually, it kind of is. I'm using my 5-Zone Living system throughout all this and you can learn more about it here - https://5zone.lincolnmurdoch.com/5zoneliving

I've been blessed to win three USA Triathlon Regional Championships and two National Championships. A big part of the reason for that success is careful, strategic race planning (including C, B and A races) and the 5-Zone Living system. If you need help planning your season and nailing those A races, give me a shout.  https://www.lincolnmurdoch.com/


No comments: